Well you would all be wrong because I now know what it is to be a real husband.

The role of a husband is to be the hired hand. You know, like that guy in old southern movies, who is hired on a farm to do everything from repairing the roof to fetchin an errand. As the husband, you do all the things that your wife could easily do, but that aren't really considered "woman" jobs. This goes for leaks, taking out the trash, setting up electronics, etc. For example, I just changed the headlight in our vehicle. It was a little tricky, but realistically, easy enough for anyone to do.
As soon as we realized that it the light was out, it was just assumed that I would fix it. Even I was like, "Oh, I'll take care of it". Like I was the skilled experienced automobile mechanic that could change it in a jiffy.
Now I'm not complaining. I, as well as most men, I think really do enjoy doing these little jobs. It makes us feel like we are feeling an important role or contributing. Makes us feel more like a man. Even though I know my wife probably knows more about working on cars, fixing the vacuum cleaner, putting up shelves, or other random task, I'm glad that they are assigned to me. No, I might not be able to cook a rally nice meal. I might now be able to give good advice on how to decorate. I might not be able to change out an engine in a car or balance our check book. I might not be this amazing, talented, skillful, or even poetic husband, but by god I am mediocre.
So bring on those leaks, oil changes, head lights, shelves, BBQs, installing electronics and yes even those random trips to the grocery store.
No comments:
Post a Comment